Qosmos for Next Generation Firewalls
To effectively classify traffic and manage rulesets, firewalls require built-in Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) providing Layer 7 application identification and detailed information in the form of metadata attributes.
Firewall vendors risk spending considerable time and money developing and updating DPI technology that provides detailed enough visibility and that is up-to-date with constantly changing protocols and applications.
How Qosmos Inside Solves the Problem
- Qosmos application classification and metadata engine – ixEngine – is embedded into next-generation firewalls to provide Layer 7 application classification and traffic metadata attributes, such as message senders and receivers, and names of files shared or attached in an application
- Within days, firewall vendors can embed ixEngine into products for unmatched application classification and more effective security policy management
- Qosmos has successfully deployed DPI software scaling efficiently from a few MB to 1 TB of memory
Benefits for Firewall Vendors: Full Application Visibility
- Identifies applications based on protocol grammar analysis, not ports
- Goes beyond traditional DPI to decode traffic inside tunneling protocols
- Identifies actions launched within an application (such as login, browse, chat, file transfer, etc.)
- Real-time extraction of communications metadata such as message senders and receivers, and names of files shared or attached in an application.
- Recognizes thousands of protocols, applications and metadata (see Qosmos Protobook Light)
- Allows users to develop their own protocol plugins that can be integrated in the ixEngine framework.